Are you searching for the perfect flower and getting ready for your next planned event or wedding? Sometimes there is no right or wrong flower but a matter preference as to what fits your needs or what fits your personality. The 101 series is a series of articles helping to educate everyone with the contrasts of various flowers. You may want to read the others in this series as well as many other helpful articles.
There are five things to keep in mind with chrysanthemums:
- Chrysanthemums come in a huge variety of shapes and sizes. They are separated into 13 categories, depending on the blossoms type or shape of petals. Chrysanthemums can be single blossoms or sprays with several flowers. The blossoms range from daisy to cushion or button types. They can be single or have double layers of petals. The petals can curve inward, called incurve, or be reflexed, curving out.
- A popular type of chrysanthemum, especially in autumn to wear to football games, is the very large round blossom type with incurve petals. This variety has been nicknamed football mums.
- Chrysanthemums are a very long-lasting flower. It is best to purchase or cut them when the flowers are fully open. Cut too early in bud stage, they will not open. The daisy types will have the middle exposed. Other types, such as button or cushion blossoms, will be open, but the middle will appear to open further. Fresh chrysanthemums show good color and are firm to the touch.
- Older chrysanthemums have petals faded into color. The petals may become more separated with age, and the flower may feel almost soft to the touch. It may shed some of its petals when handled.
- The common daisy belongs to the chrysanthemum family.
Here are some facts about chrysanthemums:
Names – Chrysanthemum, Mum.
Varieties – About 1,000 different varieties.
Colors – Available in most shades but no true blue. Some are two-toned and multicolored.
Scent – A strong musk scent.
Freshness – Purchase or cut when the flowers are three-fourths to fully open. Flowers in bud will usually not open after being cut.
Vase Life – 10 days to two weeks or longer.
Availability – All year, but the prime season is summer.
Cost – Inexpensive
Meaning – The name chrysanthemum means “golden flower” in Greek. Individual colors have their own meanings: Red symbolizes love, white symbolizes truth, and yellow symbolizes slighted love. Snubbed in some countries as a funeral flower, the chrysanthemum is the national symbol of Japan, where it signifies long life and happiness.
Arranging Tip – Chrysanthemums are a very long-lasting cut flower and popular for arrangements. But they can shorten the vase life of other flowers and are best used alone.
Other – Chrysanthemums have thick, coarse stems which one would normally hammer or split. However, these flowers should be cut at a diagonal instead, owing to the large amounts of gas they give off. Change the water frequently to avoid an overabundance of harmful bacteria. A few pieces of horticultural charcoal in the water will help absorb some of the bacteria between water changes.
Here are some popular varieties you may be interested in:
CDN (Cushion, Daisy, Novelty) Pom
If you are planning a wedding or social event, we at Whole Blossoms Wholesale Flowers would love to provide you with the freshest flowers available. We offer FREE SHIPPING and incredibly low prices. Please visit our website at www.wholeblossoms.com.