Button poms, often referred to as spray chrysanthemums or ‘mums’, are a popular choice in the floral industry due to their longevity and versatility. Characterized by their small, round blooms clustered along a single stem, button poms are available in a variety of colors, including white, yellow, and lavender. In flower arrangements, they are used to provide volume and texture, often serving as a filler flower to complement larger, statement blooms. Their robustness and relatively long vase life also make them a favored choice for events and celebrations that require the arrangements to stay fresh for extended periods.
Button poms are an excellent choice for wedding bouquets for several reasons. Firstly, their wide range of colors offers the flexibility to match any wedding theme or color palette. Secondly, their sturdy nature ensures that the bouquet will hold up throughout the day’s festivities without wilting. Additionally, the small size of the blooms allows for a more intricate and detailed arrangement, adding a unique touch to your bridal bouquet. Their relatively inexpensive cost compared to larger, statement flowers make them a cost-effective choice for brides on a budget. Lastly, button poms symbolize optimism and long life, two concepts fitting for a marriage celebration.
Before you begin creating your wedding bouquet with button poms, it’s essential to prepare the flowers properly to maximize their longevity and visual appeal. Start by carefully removing any leaves from the stem that will be below the waterline when placed in a vase – this will prevent bacterial growth. Next, use a sharp pair of scissors or floral shears to cut the stems at a 45-degree angle. This increases the surface area for water absorption, helping the flowers stay hydrated and fresh. It’s also advisable to re-cut the stems and change the water in the vase every couple of days to maintain their freshness. Lastly, store the prepared flowers in a cool, shaded area until you’re ready to start arranging your bouquet, as button poms can wilt under prolonged exposure to heat and direct sunlight.
To create a button poms bouquet, you’ll need the following materials:
- Button poms: Choose flowers in colors that match your wedding theme or personal preference.
- Floral shears: A sharp pair of floral shears will ensure clean, angled cuts on your stems.
- Floral tape: This is used to secure your bouquet together after arranging.
- Ribbon or fabric: Used to wrap around the stems of your bouquet for a finished look.
- Pins: These will secure the ribbon or fabric to the stems of your bouquet.
- Optional embellishments: Consider pearl pins, lace, or any other accessories to add a personal touch to your bouquet.
Remember, working with flowers requires a gentle touch, patience, and creativity. Enjoy the process of crafting your unique button poms bouquet.
Here are the step-by-step instructions to create a wedding bouquet with button poms:
- Preparation: Begin by preparing your workspace. Clear a large table and gather all your materials in an accessible manner. Ensure you have your button poms, floral shears, floral tape, ribbon or fabric, pins, and any optional embellishments ready.
- Trimming: Hold the stem of a button pom under running water and use your floral shears to make a fresh cut at a 45-degree angle. Repeat this step for all the button poms you plan to use.
- Arranging: Start creating your bouquet by choosing a few of your button poms to serve as the centerpiece. Slowly add more button poms around this center, turning your bouquet as you go to ensure it looks balanced from all angles.
- Securing: Once you’re happy with your arrangement, secure the stems together using floral tape. Start wrapping from the base of the flower heads and work your way down to the ends of the stems.
- Finishing Touches: Wrap your chosen ribbon or fabric around the floral tape, using pins to secure it in place. Add any optional embellishments at this stage.
- Preservation: To keep the bouquet fresh until the wedding, place the stems in a vase of water and store in a cool, shaded area.
Remember, the most important part of this process is to have fun and let your personal style shine through in the bouquet you create.
When considering other flower varieties to mix with button poms in a bouquet, roses are a timeless choice. They come in a myriad of colors and sizes, adding sophistication and elegance to any arrangement. Lilies, with their large, vibrant blooms, can provide a dramatic contrast to the smaller button poms. Alstroemerias, also known as Peruvian lilies, offer a wide spectrum of colors and are known for their long vase life, making them a practical and visually appealing choice. For a soft, romantic feel, consider adding delicate baby’s breath flowers, or for a more rustic look, try mixing in some dried lavender or wheat. Remember, the choice of additional flowers can significantly influence the overall aesthetic and feel of the bouquet, so select varieties that align with the theme and color scheme of your event.
At Whole Blossoms, we pride ourselves on being your all-inclusive source for premium flowers for any occasion. Whether you’re planning a wedding, birthday, or any other special event, our team is dedicated to helping you bring your floral vision to life. We offer a vast selection of high-quality blooms, including button poms, roses, lilies, and more, all designed to meet your unique style and budget. Beyond providing you with top-tier flowers, we’ll guide you through the process of arranging and caring for them, ensuring they remain fresh and vibrant for the entirety of your event. With Whole Blossoms, creating your dream floral arrangements has never been easier.
Please visit our website www.wholeblossoms.com to learn more…